Here is Summer in all its glory with the April – May and the Sun (mercury) rising temperature affecting the lives of all of us are surely feeling the heat. But besides just feeling the heat there are a number of ailments one can suffer from during summer. Though most people look forward to summer for enjoying the air, sunshine and warm weather, but little do they realize that this season also brings with it a range of summer ailments and allergies.
HOW CAN THE SUN BE HARMFUL IN THIS SUMMER SEASON?
- Hot and humid environment slows down the evaporation of sweat. While atmospheric temperature continues to rise, our body cannot cool down fast enough. There is a state of elevated core temperature or Hyperthermia (the condition of having a body temperature greatly above normal.). This can lead to Heat Exhaustion and in severe cases ( core temperature > 40 degree Celsius ) Heat Stroke.
- Extra cellular sodium depletion following electrolyte loss as a result of persistent sweating with replacement of water but not salt can lead to painful cramps called as Heat Cramps.
- Skin problems are the commonest ranging from simple sun tan to skin cancer due to harmful effect ofUltra Violet rays of the sun. These UV rays can also cause sunburn, tanning, premature skin aging and a decrease in immune system response. People who spent lots of time in the sun or have fair skin/hair or are over 50 years of age, are more at risk of getting skin cancer. As Patricia Farris, a famous dermatologist has rightly said – ” Your skin remembers every bit of sun it ever had ! “
- Heat stroke: It is by far the most serious and common summer hazard; often known as Sun stroke or hyperpyrexia it is manifested by extremely high body temperatures (generally greater than 104 degree F), and short and rapid breathing, fainting, dry skin etc. Heat stroke might lead to serious complications and the victim will die if not treated in time
- Cataract: Overexposure to ultraviolet light can cause cataracts, retinal damage and other eye problems. Eye infections like – styes, bacterial and viral conjunctivitis are also seen with increased frequency in this season
- Sun Headaches: Bright sunshine and the heat can trigger the throbbing headache. In a severe case it may also result in dizziness, nausea, muscle fatigue and vomiting. To avoid such cases remain hydrated and if symptoms occur, always take an over the counter medicine to be on a safer side.
- Epistaxis: Frequency of hemorrhage from nose commonly found in young children also increases in summer season. The flow of blood normally stops when the blood clots, which may be encouraged by direct pressure applied by pinching the soft fleshy part of the nose. Pressure should be firm and be applied for at least 10 minutes.
- Dehydration: Dehydration can happen quickly in the summer heat due to excessive sweating, especially when in physically active individuals. To prevent dehydration, drink additional water in hot or humid weather.
- Mosquito-borne diseases: Summer is also a month of insects like mosquitoes, bees and ants. Their bites – apart from being itchy and annoying – can be serious if they bring diseases such as malaria, dengue, chikungunya etc. All preventive measures should be used to avoid these insect bites.
BAD EFFECTS OF SUN AND HEAT CAN LEAD TO IN SUMMER:
- HEAT EXHAUSTION
- HEAT STORKE
- HEAT CRAMPS
- HEAT RASH
- PRICKLY HEAT / MILIARIA RUBRA
- PHOTO AGING
- SUN BURN
- SUN TAN
- SOLAR PURPURA
- SKIN CANCER
- HEAT TETANY
- SOLAR KERATOSIS – ( inflammation of cornea )
- HEAT SYNCOPE / FAINTING
- EPISTAXIS FROM NOSE PARTICULARLY
- EXCESSIVE OFFENSIVE OR STAINING PERSPIRATION
- SUN HEADACHE
DIET FOR SUMMER SEASON:
In Pakistan, summers are very hot. It is very important to take proper diet in summers to keep the body cool and keep diseases like dehydration, vomiting, diarrhea etc. DrAamir’s suggests food to keep you cool in summers. So include these food items in your daily diet and beat the Pakistani summers.
Fruits such as:
- Sattu (In Pakistan is generally consumed by poor people but it has extremely good properties for your health. It is extracted from barely, wheat or gram.
- Coconut water can help to prevent dehydration during summer.
- Take light, less fatty and nutritious food; avoid heavy and spicy food
TIPS FOR SKIN CARE IN SUMMER SEASON:
- Keep your skin hydrated and moisturized; use sunscreens of good quality. Avoid too much Sun exposure.
- Summer Walk: Try not to go out into the sun during mid noon. If it is inevitable, don’t forget your umbrella and UV filter sunglasses. Stay Cool. Wear light, loose-fitting clothing to help you stay cooler.
- Summer nap: Have a short rest or nap in the afternoons. This will not only refresh you but also prevent your undue exertions in heat of sun.
- Every summer thousands of people die due to dehydration and heat strokes though the modes to avoid them are so manageable. I am sure with these sure and easy methods you can help yourself cope better with the torments of summer season.
HOW PROTECT YOURSELF IN SUMMER SEASON:
- Stay in a cool shady place as much as possible specially during afternoon.
- Wear light coloured light weight loose clothes.
- Do not go out without a hat or scarf or an umbrella
- Use a sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
- Reduce the consumption of tea, coffee, cola, alcohol. Do not drink liquids with large amount of sugar.
- Drink lots of water, clear juice, electrolyte containing drinks.
- Eat small meals and more often. Avoid foods high in protein which increase the metabolic heat.
- Do not exercise too hard. Cool down yourself with a cool shower.
- In case of heat stroke use cold wraps and fan the person. Seek medical help as quickly as possible.
HOMEOPATHIC FIRST AID TREATMENT APPROACH IN THIS SUMMER SEASON:
With homeopathy as our weapon we can surely beat the heat ! Following are useful homeopathic remedies for these solar ailments.
- HEAT EXHAUSTION – Antimonium crud, Gelsemium, Natrum carb, Selenium, Lachesis, Nux mosch.
- HEAT STROKE – Glonoine, Natrum carb, Belladonna, Lachesis, Amyl nit.
- HEAT CRAMPS – Colocyinth, Cuprum met, Gelsemium, Belladonna, Natrum mur, China.
- HEAT RASH – Kali bich, Ledum pal.
- PRICKLY HEAT – Acon, Bry, Jaborandi, Ammonium mur, Arsenicum album, Ledum pal, Syzigium, Urtica urens.
- CATARACT – Pulsatilla, Natrum mur, Euphrasia.
- HEAT SYNCOPE – Gelsemium, Aconit, Antimony crude, Lachesis, Nux vomica.
- FRECKLES – Lyc, Phos, Antimony crude.
- SOLAR KERATITIS – Acon, Bell, Kali bich, Merc cor.
- CONJUNCTIVITIS WITH < HEAT – Acon, Bell, Ferrum phos, Puls, Kali bich, Natrum mur, Calcarea carb, Nux vomica.
- DYSPEPSIA IN SUMMER – Antimony crude, Bryonia, Lycopodium.
- SUN HEADACHE – Gels, Glon, Natrum carb, Bell, Kali bich, Lach, Antimony crude, Bry, Calcarea carb.
- VERTIGO WITH < HEAT – Acon, Agar, Bell, Natrum carb, Nux vomica.
- EPISTAXIS FROM NOSE WITH < HEAT – Acon, Bell, China, Nux vomica, Croc, Lach, Puls, Natrum mur.
- OFFENSIVE PERSPIRATION WITH < HEAT – Lycopodium, Nux vomica, Pulsatilla, Graphites.
- PERSPIRATION STAINING LINEN WITH < HEAT – Lachesis, Belladonna, Graphites.
Homeopathic Approach To Summer Season:
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homeopathic treatment focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition. The homeopathic medicines are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution etc.
A miasmatic tendency (predisposition/susceptibility) is also often taken into account for the treatment of chronic conditions. The medicines given below indicate the therapeutic affinity but this is not a complete and definite guide to the treatment of this condition. The symptoms listed against each medicine may not be directly related to this disease because in homeopathy general symptoms and constitutional indications are also taken into account for selecting a remedy. To study any of the following remedies in more detail, please visit our Materia Medica section. None of these medicines should be taken without professional advice.
When other systems of medicine fail to work effectively, and if you want to live with natural, safe, gentle, non-toxic, effective and rapid acting medicines, to relieve the symptoms of sexual dysfunction, to experience substantial improvement in your outlook and quality of life consider Homeopathy.
Ground Floor Shop# 52 GF, Divine Center Mega-2,
Opposite Honda Point, New Airport Road, (Ghazi Road)
Bhatta Chowk, Cantt. Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan