It is common to feel low and down many a times but when it continues for a while it turns out to be a matter of concern to rule out depression. Depression is a serious and pervasive mood disorder which causes feelings of sadness, hopelessness helplessness and worthlessness.
Depressive disorders come in different forms, just as is the case with other illnesses such as heart disease. Three of the most common types of depressive disorders are described here. However, within these types there are variations in the number of symptoms as well as their severity and persistence.
- PSYCHOTIC DEPRESSION: which occurs when a severe depressive illness is accompanied by some form of psychosis, such as a break with reality, hallucinations, and delusions.
- DYSTHYMIC DISORDER: also called dysthymia, involves long-term (two years or longer) less severe symptoms that do not disable, but keep one from functioning normally or from feeling good. Many people with dysthymia also experience major depressive episodes at some time in their lives.
- POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION: which is diagnosed if a new mother develops a major depressive episode within one month after delivery. It is estimated that 10 to 15 percent of women experience postpartum depression after giving birth.
- SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER (SAD): which is characterized by the onset of a depressive illness during the winter months, when there is less natural sunlight. The depression generally lifts during spring and summer. SAD may be effectively treated with light therapy, but nearly half of those with SAD do not respond to light therapy alone. Antidepressant medication and psychotherapy can reduce SAD symptoms, either alone or in combination with light therapy.
- BIPOLAR DISORDER: also called manic-depressive illness is not as prevalent as major depression or dysthymia, and characterized by cycling mood changes: severe highs (mania) and lows (depression).
COMMON SYMPTOMS INCLUDE:
- Persistent sad anxious or empty mood.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in various activities.
- Decreased energy or fatigue.
- Sleeping disturbances which include insomnia or excessive sleeping.
- Angry outbursts, irritability or frustration even on small matters.
- Thoughts of death or suicide or frequent suicide attempts.
- Difficulty inn concentration, taking decisions or remembered things.
- Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment such as headaches, digestive disorders and chronic pain.
- Change in appetite (increased or loss of) and weight (Loss/Gain).
CAUSES OF DEPRESSION:
- LIFE EVENTS: It commonly includes abuse an uncaring relationship, unemployment or job difficulties, living alone or long distance relationship, prolonged exposure to various stress at work etc. These are most commonly the trigger factors which can certainly give rise to depression in the long term.
- PERSONAL FACTORS: Include family history serious or long-term medical illness, drug and alcohol abuse etc.
- LIFESTYLE FACTORS: They too play a role in depressed moods. Irregular sleeping patterns, poor diet, and lack of exercise are some of the commonest factors that can lead to depression in the long-term.
- MEDICAL TREATMENTS: Certain medications are known to cause depression in a significant number of patients, such as few drugs like beta blockers which are used to treat high blood pressure and hepatitis C drug therapy.
- VARIOUS NON-PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESSES: They too can occasionally be a cause for having a depressed mood which includes a number of infectious diseases, urological conditions and physiological problems (diabetes, stroke, and cancer).
MAIN TYPES OF DEPRESSION:
- MAJOR DEPRESSION: Where the person experiences long periods of unhappiness or a melancholic state and is averse to communicating, eating, interacting within the society which affects his family and social life.
- PRE-PARTUM OR POST- PARTUM DEPRESSION: Seen in women before after delivery.
- SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER: Depression seen in normal people periodically according to seasons. e.g. summer blues, winter blues.
IT COMMONLY INCLUDES: Psychological and Medical treatment on the basis of symptoms.
JUST TO QUOTE A CASE EXAMPLE FROM MY PRACTICE:
I recently had a case of a single woman, who was in her early thirties. She came to me with the chief complaint of depression with no interest in work, not taking care of herself, not performing regular exercises or taking proper diet. She started gaining a lot of weight, but she was not concerned as to how she appeared. She started ignoring her health completely. She lost interest in her married life. Her entire life was a mess. Probing further in to her life situations; we found recurrent episodes of disappointment at various stages of her life, which were apparent around the death of her father, break up with her boyfriend and various other grief’s which she bore silently. After considering all these and many other general factors with regards to her hobbies, interests, childhood situations, sleep patterns, dreams etc. She was given a specific homeopathic remedy which suited her state and sensitivity. Within the next two weeks there was a remarkable shift in her mood. She experienced a feeling of overall well-being; she became much more positive about her life and started taking interest in her work. She started taking care of her health and her attitude towards her marriage also saw positive shift. She started experiencing joy and happiness in her life.
HOMEOPATHY A RAY OF HOPE TO PREVENT THE DARKER SIDE OF HUMAN MIND:
As illustrated above, there are various causes which are responsible for causing depression. Homeopathy offers help in the form of treating individuals specifically by going deeper to find the cause and finding out what the experience of depressed individual is. On this basis, the further line of treatment is decided which not only helps the person to come out of his depressed state but also helps change his perspective towards life; helping in transform the individual.
When other systems of medicine fail to work effectively, and if you want to live with natural, safe, gentle, non-toxic, effective and rapid acting medicines, to relieve the symptoms of sexual dysfunction, to experience substantial improvement in your outlook and quality of life consider Homeopathy.
Ground Floor Shop# 52 GF, Divine Center Mega-2,
Opposite Honda Point, New Airport Road, (Ghazi Road)
Bhatta Chowk, Cantt. Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan